Today I think I have found out why I have wanted to become a counselor. Many people have been asking me why I have chosen counseling. I just thought it was because i wanted to help others. One of my professors had made had looked at me and asked why and I didn't have the answer. At that moment I had huge doubt that I was doing the wrong thing. I have been stressing about if this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. He also asked if I could go on day to day knowing I will probably not receive a thank you from anybody. I was really okay with not wanting a thank you. I knew that is not what I was in it for.
After a couple of weeks today I have found out why I want to be a counselor. I am in a sorority and we do this thing called Secret Sister. It is almost like Secret Santa but we do it throughout the semester. I have this girl but I haven;t been able to come up with anything good to give her that had any meaning. So something popped into my head. I will get her four items. They all had the colors that symbolize our sorority. Example: this color symbolizes unity I had gotten a you a necklace that is chain link showing how connected we are to each other. I was very proud of it but I wasn't expecting a thank you. I didn't care if she said thank you or not. I just wanted to see her reaction. I wanted to see her be happy. I wanted to see a smile. At that moment I wanted to cry. For weeks I have been wondering if I had been making a mistake and now out of the blue I had an answer. I was glad that my answer was something that made sense.
I know for some people reading this they will never understand. I understand though. I understand why I am heading in the direction I have chosen. I think I had lost track of it until someone more or less said to slow down and think.
So what I have learned to do with my personal growth is that I really need to slow down. I have many things I still need to learn but if I am rushing through life I will never think about what I want. I will just end up doing something I might not like to down the road.
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment